- Serves: 4
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 1 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
250gm tub fresh white crab meat
1 small sized bulb of fennel
1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
1 orange, skin and pith removed and then segmented to remove the membrane too
a little chopped fresh chilli with no seeds, (enough to bring warmth to the dish and no more)
75ml good extra virgin olive oil
Delicious at any time of year it looks very attractive at the beginning of the year when blood oranges are in season. Serves 2 generously and 4 as a more dainty starter. Some good baguette or grilled sourdough is a nice garnish.
- Slice the fennel as finely as you can, a Japanese mandolin is ideal for this.
- Place in a bowl with the thyme leaves, orange segments and chilli.
- Season with sea salt and set aside for thirty minutes. The salt will draw some liquid from the fennel which will mingle with the orange juices.
- Then add some olive oil and combine well.
- Check the seasoning and also mix in a quarter of the white crab meat.
- Divide the salad onto plates and scatter over the rest of the crab.
- An artful drizzle of olive oil looks good too.