- Serves: 2
- Time: 60 minutes
- Difficulty: Easy
8 medium scallops in the half shell (cleaned)
500ml whole milk
1 bay leaf
30g unsalted butter
30g plain flour
50g gruyere cheese (cheddar also works well)
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tsp worcestershire sauce
30g sourdough breadcrumbs
20g grated parmesan
- To make the breadcrumbs, remove the crust from the bread, add to a food processor and season with a little salt and pepper. Blitz until fine.
- Add the milk to a saucepan with the peppercorns and bay leaf, heat gently until it reaches a simmer then remove from the heat and leave to infuse for ten minutes.
- Finely dice the shallots and add to another saucepan with the butter. Cook gently until the shallots are soft and translucent.
- Add the flour to the butter and cook gently, stirring with a wooden spoon until the mix is smooth and golden brown. This will take 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaf and peppercorns from the milk. Gradually add the milk, and keep stirring. Cook the sauce for 8 to 10 minutes, it should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Finish the sauce by adding the mustard, Worcestershire sauce and the grated cheese.
- Line the scallops on a baking tray, and top each scallop with the sauce. Cover with the breadcrumbs, then the grated parmesan.
- Bake at 180c for 20 mins or until golden and bubbling.